Unit One: The Scientific Method
We will begin the year by starting our first unit: The Scientific Method.
In this unit, we will discover the steps scientists use to solve problems, find
out the characteristics all living things share, and practice using the Metric
Please scroll down to see the agenda for each class day. You may click on items such as
notes to download the item to your computer.
Unit One Score Sheet ________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Tuesday, August 21st
1. Name cards
2. The cockroach beat-box video
3. Tower building competition
Sign syllabus - Bring 5 subject spiral notebook Thursday (A) or Friday(B)
Wednesday, August 22nd
1. Lab Safety Posters
2. Lab Safety Questions
3. Lab Safety Song
Sign syllabus & Bring 5 subject spiral notebook Thursday (A) or Friday(B)
Thursday, August 23rd and Friday, August 24th
1. Bellwork 1.1
2. Glossary Words 1-4: biology, organism, metabolism, and homeostasis
3. Class Notes 2: The Scientific Method
4. Finish Safety Posters (Due Today)
5. Start homework 1 and go over my website
Section 1.1 and Section 1.2
****If you forgot how to do your homework, here is a link to help you.
Monday, August 27th and Tuesday, August 28th
1. Bellwork 1.2
2. Glossary 5-8: experimental group, control group, dependent variable, independent variable
3. Characteristics of Life Activity
4. Class Notes 1.1 Characteristics of Life
5. Characteristics of Life Song
6. Activity WS: Controls and Variables demo
7. Explain the Carrot Lab
Section 1.3 and Section 1.4
Wednesday, August 29th and Thursday, August 30th
1. Bellwork 3: The Scientific Method
2. Glossary word 9- 11: hypothesis, theory, constant
3. Activity: Observation vs Inference
4. Cricket Lab
5. Go over Quest HW assignment and Website
Section 1.5 and register for Quest. There is a Unit 1 Quiz on Quest you must take before Sept. 11th. Directions for Quest are linked to my homepage on www.vmhs.net on the left hand side.
Also: Begin working on Carrot Lab. You are to design your own lab using the guidelines on the handout. Then you will write a lab report using the Lab Report Format.
Friday, August 31st and Tuesday, September 4th
1. Bellwork 4: Observation vs Inference
2. Glossary 12-13: qualitative and quantitative
3. Class Notes 3: The Metric System
4. Lab : Metric Mania
Homework: 1. Quest online Quiz Due Sept. 11th
2. Carrot Lab . Due NEXT CLASS! You are to design your own lab using the guidelines on the handout. Then you will write a lab report using the Lab Report Format.
***ALSO: There will be a homework quiz next class.
Wednesday, September 5th and Thursday, September 6th
1. Bellwork 5: The Metric System- collect Carrot Lab
2. Finish Metric Mania
3. Unit 1 Homework Quiz
1. Unit 1 Test Review
2. Quest online Quiz Due Sept. 11th, click on this link to login https://utdirect.utexas.edu/
Friday, September 7th and Monday, September 10th
1. Bellwork 6: Unit 1 Review
2. Correct test review
3. Edit Carrot Lab
4. Surface Tension Lab
5. Prepare for Unit 1 Notebook Check - I'll return graded papers to you.
1. Study your Unit 1 Test Review and glossary words for your first test.
2. Quest online Quiz Due Sept. 11th, click on this link to login https://utdirect.utexas.edu
Tuesday, September 11th and Wednesday, September 12th
1. Notebook check. No bellwork
2. Unit 1 Test and notebook check
3. Periodic Table Art
4. Simulation Pre-lab
5. Add to notes section: Electron Shell Practice- For each element listed, draw
the electrons in the proper location. List the number of protons, electrons,
and neutrons. Elements: Hydrogen, Helium, Lithium, Berylium, Boron, Carbon,
Nitrogen , Oxygen.
Homework: Print out and complete the Build an atom Simulation Homework
click on link for simulation http://phet.colorado.edu/en/simulation/build-an-atom, then click run now button. Due Sept. 19th/20th